AAUW Murfreesboro is proud to nominate Lee Anne Carmack for the Rutherford ATHENA Award and Dr. Adelle Monteblanco for the Rutherford ATHENA Young Professional Award.
We also extend our congratulations to Courtney Chavez, our financial officer, who was nominated by United Way of Rutherford and Cannon Counties.
To learn more about Lee Anne and the other ATHENA nominees, visit this page: https://rutherfordcable.org/athena/athena-2021/
To learn more about Dr. Monteblanco and the other ATHENA Young Professional nominees, please visit this page: https://rutherfordcable.org/athena/yp-2021/
VIRTUAL Women’s Day On the Hill March 8, 2021
This year will be different, but in a good way. This year’s WDH will be virtual which will allow many more of our members to participate. Please REGISTER TODAY. We need as many smiling faces on our zoom as possible!
We have 5 virtual meeting set up and I’m working on more. Some of our meeting will occur during the Panel discussion.
Mostly, I would like to see as many folks as possible to attend the session from 11:15-Noon where each organization will present on their current bills. This is such a great learning opportunity for everyone.
Please reach out to Lee Anne Carmack if you have any questions about the event.
Click here to view the AAUW-TN Public Policy Report.
Bill Priority List
Active Lobbying efforts
- HB0725 Eliminating the Salary History – As introduced, prohibits an employer from relying on, seeking, or requiring the wage or salary history of an applicant or current employee when making certain decisions related to hiring.
- HB 0797 Raise the Minimum Wage – As introduced, increases, from $7.25 to $12, the minimum hourly wage for employees within the state.
- HB 1404 Paid Family Medical Leave – As introduced, creates a program for paid family medical leave for state employees.
- SB 1357 Reinstate the Tennessee Economic Council on Women
Also Supporting with email and call campaigns
- HB0805 Distributing absentee ballots – As introduced, deletes a provision making it a Class A misdemeanor for a person who is not an employee of an election commission to give an unsolicited request for an application for an absentee ballot to any person. (with TN LWV)
- Jim Coley Rape Survivors Protection Act – Gives rape victims the right to their rape kit information.
- SB0003 Fair Maps Act Redistricting – As introduced, enacts the “Fair Maps Act,” which establishes requirements for the process of redistricting congressional and general assembly districts. (with TN LWV)
- HB0033 Ida B. Wells-Barnett Plaza – As introduced, redesignates the Legislative Plaza as the Ida B. Wells-Barnett Plaza.
Watching closely and/or Supporting in a group effort with other female-forward organizations
- HB0786 – Permitless Carry (in conjunction with Moms Demand Action)
- HB0011 – The Kyle Rittenhouse Bill – would allow the use of deadly force to protect property, even if not your own.
- SB0204 – The fetal heart beat bill (in conjunction with Planned Parenthood)
- SB0024- Adding feminine hygiene products to the tax-free weekend list
This year, we are working hard on getting more logo and name recognition on Capitol Hill. We have reached out to the following organizations to offer our support for their efforts in return for support of ours.
- Tennessee League of Women Voters https://www.lwv.org/local-leagues/lwv-tennessee LWV is an organization fully committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in principle and in practice. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are central to the organization’s current and future success in engaging all individuals, households, communities, and policy makers in creating a more perfect democracy.
- Planned Parenthood https://www.plannedparenthood.org/planned-parenthood-tennessee-and-north-mississippi Our mission is to provide high-quality, non-judgmental sexual health care, honest and accurate sexuality education, and reproductive health and rights advocacy.
- A Better Balance https://www.abetterbalance.org/tag/tennessee/ A Better Balance, a national nonprofit advocacy organization, uses the power of the law to advance justice for workers, so they can care for themselves and their loved ones without jeopardizing their economic security. Through legislative advocacy, direct legal services and strategic litigation, and public education, our expert legal team combats discrimination against pregnant workers and caregivers and advances supportive policies like paid sick time, paid family and medical leave, fair scheduling, and accessible, quality childcare and eldercare.
- Mom’s Demand Action – https://momsdemandaction.org/ Moms Demand Action is a grassroots movement of Americans fighting for public safety measures that can protect people from gun violence. We pass stronger gun laws and work to close the loopholes that jeopardize the safety of our families. (Note: AAUW National Biennial Action Priorities include: Freedom from violence and fear of violence)